Awards and Recognition
Norstar USA has attained numerous awards in the past several years, thereby significantly expanding its national recognition. In 2012, Norstar achieved the ranking of 15th largest affordable home builder in the United States by the Affordable Housing Finance Magazine in its list of Top 50 Affordable Housing Developers. Norstar has previously ranked within the Top 50 Affordable Housing Developers in 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
In 2009, Norstar USA was additionally awarded the 15th Annual Charles L. Edson Tax Credit Excellence Award under the category of “Public Housing Revitalization,” for its Gulf Breeze Apartments in Punta Gorda, Florida. This award was presented by the Affordable Housing Tax Credit Coalition (AHTCC).
Norstar USA continues to provide much needed affordable housing for seniors in the State of Florida, serving as the designated developer for the new Pinellas Heights Development – a $24,000,000.00, 153-unit project estimated to be completed by the end of the year 2013. This project will help to alleviate the Pinellas County Housing Authority’s current wait list of 8,000 people.
Norstar USA has also achieved recognition for its preservation efforts by winning the Historic Albany Foundation’s 2009 Preservation Merit Award for its rehabilitation of 155 Clinton Avenue in Albany, New York. Norstar USA partnered with the Albany Housing Authority to revive this 127 year old building by reconstructing and restoring it back to its original charm.
Norstar USA’s extensive and proven track record as lead developer in the redevelopment of public housing is also evident by its additional notable following recognitions:
- Frederick Douglass Towers, Buffalo, New York: recognized by Fannie Mae as a top State public housing redevelopment and “…exactly the kind of business Fannie Mae wants to be in—helping to replace blight and despair with rebirth.”
- Renaissance Preserve Senior, Fort Meyers, Florida: received honorable mention for overcoming obstacles in the Journal of Tax Credit Housing’s 2010 “Development Distinction” competition.
- Arbor Hill Homes, Albany, New York: in collaboration with the Albany Housing Authority, received the New York State Association for Affordable Housing’s (NYSAFAH) “Award of Excellence” in May, 2007.
- Ellicott Town Center, Buffalo, New York: received finalist recognition for “Best Multifamily Rehabilitation” from the National Association for Home Builders, as well as a “Secretary’s Award for Excellence” from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Norstar’s Gulf Breeze, Punta Gorda, Florida: developed with the Punta Gorda Housing Authority – Recognized and was the featured project in the November 2008 issue of Novogradac’s Journal of Tax Credit Housing.
Norstar USA has an extensive and proven track record of service as an industry-leading developer in the redevelopment of public housing.